Tuesday, April 28, 2009

1000% ROI Guarantee? You betcha!

You know, I have never been one to accept the status-quo. In fact, it is in my blood to buck the system, not for the sake of it, but rather to see if we can do things better, faster, stronger...kind of like the 6 Million Dollar Man...I digress.

It has occurred to me, as many things do, that the advertising industry doesn't play by the same rules the rest of the world plays by. We have been conditioned to believe that the number of eyeballs is the most important number when it comes to advertising, but I couldn't disagree more...the most important number is the return I get on my advertising investment because it relates to my bottom line. Why advertisers don't get that is a mystery to me.

I know that when I am prepared to spend money on an advertising campaign it is with the goal of making money, specifically, PROFIT! My metric is, and always has been, a 1000% return on my investment or else I don't advertise with that company again. What that means is that for every dollar I spend, I want to see $10 come back to me. There are those that believe there is no such thing as a 1000% return on their investment and that is fine with me...we have a tendency to create our own reality and if you don't believe it is possible, then it probably isn't.

It has been done on a regular basis for decades for those who understand marketing. I read a book a few years ago by Mark Stevens titled, Your Marketing Sucks. The main thing that I got out of that book is that if you can't track your revenues back to marketing or vice versa, then your marketing sucks.

I have embraced that concept and have challenged advertisers and advertising companies for years with that one simple concept and I am appalled at the apparent lack of concern for my bottom line. It is as if it is their right to take our hard earned money and spend it in a way that is completely unaccountable! It is insanity!

So, here I am in the position of having a media suite of real estate investor products called Local Real Estate Deals. I can take the stance of my predecessors and competitors and put the burden on my advertisers, OR I can work with them as an extension of their Marketing and P.R. departments to increase their bottom line. It isn't as profitable in the beginning, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

We have decided to take a very proactive stance on advertising in our media group and offer a 1000% Return on your Advertising Dollar! How's that for confidence in our own product? We will keep your advertisements "live" until we can quantify a 1000% guarantee...PERIOD! In order to do that, we need to understand your business in a way that most advertising sales reps never will. We need to understand the metrics of your business in a way that will allow us to create a trackable system and measure your ROI. It's amazing sometimes to learn that as we go through this with our clients, they are amazed at how much money they have wasted by NOT tracking their advertising options. In this way, we feel like consultants, and technically we are. But going through this exercise puts everybody on the same page. It's what I have done ever since I started buying advertising and now that I have created an advertising product suite, it is time for me to show our advertisers how to quantify their advertising so that their marketing doesn't suck.

So there it is...The first official 1000% ROI Guarantee! I know we won't be making friends with our competitors, but that isn't my goal...Maybe you should ask them if they will guarantee a 1000% ROI...the answers will be interesting.

Give us a call to see how we can work together

Robert D. Cass

Publisher, Local Real Estate Deals Media Group
757-729-3124

No comments:

Post a Comment