Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Touch and Go, Baby! Touch and Go!

I had the immense pleasure of catching a couple of Navy Fighter Pilots practicing their touch-and-go approaches tonight in their F-18 Super Hornets. What an awesome spectacle! I saw them flying circular patterns and new exactly what they were doing. Normally, I am not in a position to stop and check them out, but today I had a few minutes to kill. I found the absolute perfect observation spot and waited for a minute or two…sure enough, less than 100 feet directly over my head, my whole body rumbled as the jets glided to their target…As they passed over head you could see the flaps making the adjustments until the jet touched down, and then it was full power as they climbed back up to altitude! AWESOME! I stayed there for about 15 minutes and realized how lucky I was to be witnessing this first-hand.

 

It’s all about repetition. In everything we do, to become better at it, we need to practice. Even the seemingly mundane things need to be practiced and rehearsed, over and over and over again. It is no accident that we have the greatest pilots in the world. They are trained for thousands of hours and after they achieve fighter pilot status, they keep training and training and training. It is the mark of the true professional. When you keep honing your skills and keep looking for things that you could have done better. It is inspiring to witness this not only in fighter pilots, but also in real estate professionals.

 

No matter what we do, there are things in our daily professional lives that we do over and over again without thinking much about it. Take some time to slow down those every day things to see exactly how you can make a bigger impact, or become more efficient…look at every aspect of your business and find ways of pushing the envelop. This should be a continuing effort. I think that Stephen Covey called that, “Sharpening the saw.” I call it, “Touch and Go, Baby! Touch and Go!”

 

God Bless our Troops! And God Bless America!

 

Robert D. Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment